Privacy notice for www.imperial.ac.uk
In accordance with Data Protection Legislation and the Privacy Electronic Communications Regulations, this privacy notice will:
- inform you as to how we look after your personal data when you visit our websites;
- tell you about your privacy rights;
- tell you how the law protects you.
What do we collect?
Whilst you do not require an account to access the University websites, there may be occasions where data is requested / collected as part of an action / activity, for example;
- to register for an event
- to request information such as via the ordering of a prosctus
- to subscribe to newsletter or club
- to communicate with the College
- to understand how you use our websites, and how our websites perform when you use them.
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity data – includes first name, maiden name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, date of birth, gender and your Internet Protocol (IP) address.
- Contact data -includes billing address, postal address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Transaction data -includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical data – includes your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile data –includesyour username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses].
- Usage data – information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques
- Email data – your email address and subscription preferences when you sign up to any email alerts, newsletters and other Imperial mailing lists.
This data can be viewed by authorised people at Imperial, and trusted partners to:
- Improve functionality, security and accessibility
- improve the site by monitoring how you use it e.g. pages you visit on the site and browser versions used
- gather feedback to improve our services
- help us respond to your feedback, if you’ve asked us to
- send email alerts or newsletters to users who request them
- allow you to access Imperial services and make transactions
How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- We you request us to do something for you or because of you
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
- To understand the behaviour of visitors to the site. This would include:
- The number of visitors to different areas
- The types of information being searched for via the sites search engine
- To identify any anomalies in site usage
- To evaluate the popularity of news articles
Where we store your data
We store your data primarily on secure servers in the UK and European Economic Area (EEA).
Although we make every effort to keep your data in the UK / EEA, we occasionally work with third parties in the United States. In these cases, we ensure they will abide by the same level of assurances as the UK / EEA respectively
How we keep your data secure
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
How long will you use my personal data for?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
Disclosing your information
We do not pass on your details to other websites for their own marketing or commercial purposes.
You can find out what information we hold about you by submitting a subject access request and ask us not to use the information we collect.
You also have the right to have data erased if it is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was originally collected/processed, or if there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing. This is sometimes known as ‘the right to be forgotten’.
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time. If you’ve signed up for email alerts, you can unsubscribe or change your settings at any time by selecting the ‘unsubscribe’ link that appears in every email.
Links to other websites
The Imperial College London websites contain links to other websites.
Following a link to Imperial College London from another website